Britain lifts advisory against travel to Tunisia

LONDON — Britain has lifted an advisory against travel to Tunisia, paving the way for tourists to return to the country's Mediterranean beaches two years after a deadly attack.

The U.K. government had advised against all but essential travel to the North African country since a gunman stormed a luxury hotel in the resort of Sousse in June 2015, killing 38 people, 30 of them British.

The Foreign Office said Wednesday it no longer advises against travel to most of Tunisia, including major tourist resorts and the capital, Tunis. Foreign Office Minister Alistair Burt said the decision was partly due to security improvements made since then.

The U.K. tourism organization ABTA said the change meant "travel companies can put in place plans for holidays to Tunisia to restart, should they wish."

More Travel News

Indian-Americans, 'Horsetown USA' clash over building plans

Aug 31, 2016

A Southern California city striving to preserve its rural, equestrian lifestyle has denied a proposal for a Hindu cultural center

Peace but extreme poverty in isolated region of Afghanistan

Sep 7, 2016

The Wakhan corridor, which has been named Afghanistan's second national park, is the country's most _ perhaps only _ peaceful region

Airbnb apologizes for racism complaints, outlines changes

Sep 8, 2016

Airbnb on Thursday apologized for its slow response to complaints of racism and issued a report outlining new policies to root out bias

To travel is to live. Unearth your next travel destination here with The Travel Trooper. We love what we do and looking forward to more #travelsquad joining us in this journey.

Contact us: